2021 GWD 17th Biennial Conference and Exhibition Debrief
Winners and Awards...
and Thank you's! and Congratulations!
It was wonderful to come together again, as a community, to share knowledge, new research and innovation and expand on our networks at the 17th Groundwater Conference & Exhibition hosted by the Gauteng Branch of the Groundwater Division of the Geological Society of South Africa.
The GWD wish to congratulate the following recipients of the 'BEST' Awards for the Conference:
We want to acknowledge all the great groundwater SCIENCE TALKS, WORKSHOPS on all topics, as well as all Engagement Partners !
Find the ABSTRACT BOOKLET to download from Resources on Conference Page.
(Excluding In-Person statistics) Please note that unique log-ins to the LIVE event exclude onsite attendees that did not log-in) Onsite attendees at the Pretoria Studio:
|Day 1 18 Oct 2021||49||136|
|Day 2 19 Oct 2021||54||130|
|Day 3 20 Oct 2022||48||130|
STUDENT RAPPORTEUR REPORTS
Resilience 1 (Elvis Tamilo, University of the Witwatersrand)
The application of machine learning for groundwater level prediction in the Steenkoppies compartment of the Gauteng and Northwest dolomite aquifer, South Africa (Kristy GIBSON).
- Aquifer; Hydrogeology; Time series; Variables; Machine learning; Simulation; Artificial intelligence; Atlantis aquifer; Dolomite; Groundwater; Abstraction; Correlation
Managed aquifer recharge in South Africa (MARSA) (Jens AAMAND).
- Aquifer; Pollutants; Reclaimed water; Anaerobic aquifer; Anaerobic degradation; Nitrate; Nitrospine; Nitrification; Compost; Contaminant; Infiltration; Pathogens
Sharing water resources and the complexities around it: Three Case Studies from the Western Cape (Christel VAN STAADEN).
- Water resource; De Doorns; Worcester; Drilling; Water level; Aquifer; Groundwater; Drawdown; Abstraction; Irrigation; Borehole; Quartzite bedding
Conjunctive use of water resources (Jan KuRSTEIN)
- Groundwater; Groundwater protection; Aquifer; Geophysics; Drilling; Logging; Modeling; Ladysmith; Umgeni water; Faults; Recharge; Karoodolerite; Transmissivity; Abstraction; Drawdown
Assessment of the state of potable water supply system in selected communities of Vhembe District Municipality, South Africa (Tuwani MALIMA)
- Potable water; Sanitation; Hygiene; Groundwater; Water source; Discussants; Variables; Fountain water; Water supply; Borehole
Research 1 (Elvis Tamilo, University of the Witwatersrand)
Transport and attenuation of microplastics in saturated sands (Sebastian STENZL)
- Landfill; Environment; Biodegradable; Decompose; Microplastics; Sewage sludge; Environmental stressors; Bioaccumulate; Toxicology; Nano plastics; Research deficit; Up flow; Downflow
Test pumping derivative analysis to improve conceptual understanding in a complex aquifer: Steenbras Wellfield (Kevin DE BRUIN)
- Aquifer; Hydraulic conductivity; Flow regimes; Derivative data; Fracture; Recharge; Cleaning; Smoothing; Sequence; Steenbras Wellfield; Borehole; Derivative analysis; Wellbore
Hydrocarbon groundwater analyses: a Karoo case study (Danita HOHNE)
- Hydrocarbon; Karoo; Water level; Contaminated water; Artisan borehole; Methane concentration; Natural gas; Natural gas; Dolerites; Water quality; Fracturing; Groundwater
The presence and concentration of antiretroviral drugs in different water bodies around the western Cape (Phumelele MAPHUMULO)
- ARVs; Water pollution; Aquatic ecosystem; Water types; Water contamination; Wastewater; Nevirapine; Landfill; Lopinavir; Groundwater; Ritonavir; Tenofovir; Efavirenz; Water treatment; Drinking water
Managed aquifer recharge – evaluating the efficiency of the unsaturated zone to reduce contaminants. A case study of Atlantis aquifer (Londiwe NTSHANGASE)
- Aquifer recharge; Water source; Infiltration; Filtration; Groundwater quality; Artificial recharge; Water treatment; Unsaturated zone; Attenuation; Microbial contaminants; Septic effluents; Atlantis; Grab sampling; Water contamination
Prefeasibility Study for Managed Aquifer Recharge within the Greater Kruger National Park, Limpopo Province, South Africa (Michael HOLLOWAY)
- Artificial recharge; Borehole; Source water; Drainage line; Aquifer; Water quality; Groundwater; Infiltration; Geophysics; Drilling; Dolerite dykes; Water flow
Research 2 (Phumelele Maphumulo, University of the Western Cape)
BSc Applied geology, Postgraduate Diploma Integrated Water Resource Management, MSc Environmental and Water Sciences (Candidate), Senior Student Coordinator-Peer Mentoring Programme
Water research commission and proposals (Yazeed Van Wyk)
- Water; Goals; Methods; Proposals; Research; Terminology; Modification; Deliverable; Community; Screening
Groundwater in SADC research vision (James Sauramba)
- Groundwater; Sustainability; Development; Trans boundary; Water security; Vulnerability risk; Management; Water courses; Aquifers; Business models
The seven deadly sins of numerical modelling (Adries Wilke)
- Shame; Model; Purpose; Layers; Spatial information; Hydrogeological; Boundary; Convergence/divergence; Flux boundaries; Conceptual model
Geochemical investigation to improve the predication of mine water impacts; A case study in the Elandsfontein aquifer system, west coast (Angelo Johnson)
- Phosphate mine; Fault; Predication; Geochemical; Mineral separation; Brine; Operational phase; Minerals; Unsaturated zone; Management
- Ecosystem; Dependent; Aquatic; Vegetation; Wetlands; Interactions; Transboundary flow; Integration; Recharge; Discharge
Resilience 3 (Phumelele Maphumulo, University of the Western Cape)
Observation and monitoring of field parameters for springs and rivers of a swiss alpine valley in relation to seasonality (Cedric Meier)
- Geology; Hydrogeology; Margins; Localization; Catchments; Springs/rivers; Maps; Precipitation; Flow rate; Valley
Visibility 1 (Mikyle Cloete, University of the Western Cape)
Candidate Natural Scientist (SACNASP) MSc. candidate in Environmental and Water Science
Diamonds on the soles of their feet: groundwater monitoring in the Hout Catchment, Limpopo (Goldin)
- Citizen science; Rainfall; Groundwater; Sampling; Data collection; Borehole
Strengthening South Africa’s groundwater regulatory framework: The case of the unprotected dolomitic aquifer of Delmas
- Aquifer; WUA; Legislation; Groundwater Protection Zones; Groundwater abstraction; Water quality; SPLUMA
Intraplate tectonic setting of the southwestern Cape, South Africa: Analysis of the TrigNet geodetic record
- Steenbras; GNSS; Geodetic monitoring; Groundwater abstraction ; Groundwater monitoring; Tectonic; Rainfall signature; Aquifer storativity; Drawdown
Using geophysics to detect water-hosting fractures in the Vredefort Dome: A training opportunity
- Geophysics; Vredefort dome; Fractures; Seismic; EM; GPR; Modelling;Magnetic; Water levels; Field school
Test pumping Well field analysis of a heterogeneous fractured rock aquifer.
- Fractured rock; Aquifer; Pumping test; Borehole; Tygerberg formation; Quartz; Constant discharge test; Water level; Cooper-Jacob Test; Sustainable yield
Innovation 1 (Mikyle Cloete, University of the Western Cape)
Geophysical Borehole Siting at Elizabeth Conradie School in Kimberley, Northern Cape Province, South Africa (attended late to presentation as I was dealing with technical issues)
- Geophysics; Borehole
Optimizing borehole performance through dynamic flow and chemistry profiling
- Groundwater flow; Borehole; Hydrogeology; Chemistry profiling; SDG; Water quality; SANS2015; Pollution; Hydrobooster; Pumping test
Sustainable rehabilitation of production boreholes Application of pH-neutral iron (III) dissolvers by closed-circuit injection
- pH; closed-circuit injection; production-boreholes; rehabilitation; iron; corrosion; incrustations; clogging ; dissolution; maintenance
Management 1 (Jureya Dildar, University of the Witwatersrand)
Dale Barrow (Geoss South Africa) -Assessing groundwater dependence of wetlands and streams within the Table Mountain Group Aquifer: A Case Study from the Kogelberg
- Piezometric surface/level; Groundwater discharge; Groundwater dependence; Interflow; Groundwater abstraction; Kogelberg; Table Mountain Group (TMG); Hydrogeological; Ecological; Geochemical; Climactic
Kevin Pietersen (L2K2 Consultants (Pty) Ltd)- Expanding the boundaries of the Eastern Kalahari Karoo Transboundary Aquifer (EKK-TBA) shared between Botswana and Zambia: A governance challenge
- Transboundary diagnostic analysis (TDA); EKK-TBA boundary; Kalahari group; Okavango-Zambezi River Basin; Botswana; Zimbabwe; Hydrogeological mapping; Tectonics; Regional piezometry; Groundwater resources; Groundwater governance
Management 2 (Jureya Dildar, University of the Witwatersrand)
"But is it 'pollution'?" - determining appropriate site-specific regulatory limit values for groundwater quality. Carin BOSMAN
- Pollution; Waste; Groundwater resources; Water quality; Governance; Law and policy; Legislation; Sustainability; Drinking water standard; Carrying capacity; Aquifer system; Source- pathway receptor model
The Importance of Reliable Monitoring Data Shuaib DUSTAY
- Logging; Monitoring ; Quality checking; Data collection; Boreholes; Data quality; Numerical groundwater model; Contaminated groundwater system; Contaminant plume; Calibration
Fracking regulations to protect groundwater resources during unconventional oil and gas extraction|: Getting it right. Surina ESTERHUYSE
- Fracking; Unconventional oil and gas (UOG); Groundwater resources; Legislation; Regulations; Sustainability; Scientific policy; Public policy; Setback distance; Enforcement mechanism
Update of regional groundwater flow models for the Vaal Gamagara SD1 and SD2 wellfields. Martin HOLLAND
- Water demand; Groundwater development target area; Aquifer; Northern Cape; Groundwater resources; Logging; Cumulative rainfall departure curve (CRD); Hydrocensus data; Abstraction; Production rates
The onset of iron biofouling in boreholes in and around Cape Town Roger PARSONS
- iron biofueling; Table mountain group; Groundwater abstraction; Klein Karoo rural water supply scheme; Koo valley; Boreholes; Groundwater levels; Pumping rates; Maintenance; Rehabilitation
Practical Solutions for Academic Based Applications in Understanding the importance of correct aquifer test data interpretations Jorette VAN ROOYEN
- Fractured rock mechanisms; Groundwater; Surface water; Sustainability; Pumping test data; Fracture characterisation (FC); Aquifer; Hydraulic; Flow information; 3D numerical flow model
Tuwani Malima, University of Venda
REPORT ON THE CONFERENCE DELIBERATIONS
Presentation by Neno Kukuric from International Groundwater Resources Assessment Centre.
The guest speaker Neno Kukuric outlined assessment, management and governance of groundwater internationally. He indicated that there is a need for awareness campaigns between countries and cooperation in managing groundwater. He further indicated the need for synergy and partnership between countries so that groundwater can be properly managed and not be depleted like other natural resources. From the study presented, a need for information sharing and knowledge management between water users and other stakeholders, was clearly identified.
Future prospects for groundwater was also outlined which emphasised international cooperation. This enhances the issues around climate change which critically impact recharge of aquifers for groundwater to be available. He stressed that human impact on groundwater resources is affecting these precious water resources availability. The presentation also outlined the need to improve groundwater management through broader socio-economic and environmental context by increasing visibility and management of ground water resources.
PRESENTATION FOR DAY TWO: Matthys Dippenaar on the Professionals' Journey
Professional conduct of a geologist was clearly outlined and this is to ensure that geology is put into its rightful place in Universities. There are few universities offering geology programmes and the requirements was also outlined. There is a need by the groundwater organisations to ensure that geology receive the publicity it deserves as this is critical to ensure that groundwater is studied and researched for its optimal usage and management so that it is not depleted. The geology need to be promoted and salary ranges were also displayed according to the ranking in the profession. The CPD was also presented and how that is accumulated within the profession.