Geohydrology: Practical Skills Course 2023 (GWD)
About this event
The Course will utilise the UP Boreholes walking distance from the Conference facility to run the field tests.
An additional drill-site(s) - from partner institutions- are planned to be added to the programme itinerary for additional practical exposure.
*SACNASP CPD ACCREDITED COURSE*
The Course is open to all interested individuals.
Course registration ranges from R2,500 (students), R7,300 (Members) to R8,000 (Non-members).
Accommodation packages are available for on-site accommodation.
About Future Africa Accommodation:
Please note that Future Africa is not a commercial hotel, but a research and academic conference venue with conference facilities. The campus has been designed to host a community of scholars, research fellows and students for periods of knowledge creation, study and other conference type engagements. There is a reception which operates during office hours to assist with inquiries, but conventional hotel concierge services are not available.
Thank you for the interest. Please note that registration closed.
- Course fees include all course materials, refreshments and lunches and two after-hour social events (Tuesday and Thursday) as well as any additional travel requirements should there be an additional drill-site added;
- Course fee exclude one dinner (Wednesday) - this will be for the delegate's own account;
- First come first serve basis will apply;
- Only proof of payment /approved order will be regarded as confirmation of attendance;
- Accommodation is optional to attendance
DV - Drieke Visagie (DWS), FF - Fanus Fourie (DWS), KD - Khutjo Diphofe (UP), KR - Kirsten Raible (UP), MAD - Prof Matthys Dippenaar (UP), NV - Dr Nicolette Vermaak (UFS), RD - Dr Roger Diamond (UCT BIOGRIP), SM - Sisanda Makubalo (CGS)
Drilling - borehole construction, drilling supervision, logging
Hydrocensus - mapping and locating, DWA databases, measuring water levels, landowner liaison
Sampling - accessing boreholes, purging, sampling, labelling, preservation
Field analyses - Aquaread, Extech, RAD7, etc.
Hydraulic testing - step tests, constant rate calculation, measuring drawdown, test interpretation, calculation of hydraulic parameters (K, T, S, Sy)
Lectures, exercises and field work may be swapped around depending on the weather forecast each day.
Data Manipulation (DV)