CGS GEOSCIENCE SUMMIT
About this event
The main purpose of the 2022 Geoscience Summit to celebrate the 110 years of the CGS, in particular its progress in geoscience mapping, nationally and internationally over the years, and to celebrate the predecessors who led the organisation in the past, recognising the significant contribution they made not only to the CGS but to the Republic itself.
A key component of the Geoscience Summit is also to engage with all stakeholders to plan for the next 110 years. Recent challenges in all geoscience spheres (research, education and training of the next generation are paramount, geoheritage) have resulted in declining student numbers interested in geoscience careers (and closure of some high-quality, international geoscience institutions), limited research funding and pressures on researchers to support more and more students on less and less of a budget, and the need to change with the times to meet the needs of an ever changing world, all threaten the future of geosciences into the future. If the geosciences community want to avoid an ‘extinction level event’ we need to agree on a strategic a sustainable way forward.
The Geoscience 2022 Summit will focus on the following themes:
- Geoscience for a better life – minerals and commodities
- Building for the future: infrastructure development and land use
- Geoscience for health, groundwater and the environment
- Geoscience for the digital age
- A better world and Africa through geoscience
- Geoscience Innovation and Education
- Citizen Geoscience and Education
- Geoscience Communication
Abstract Submissions are open until the 30th of August 2022
- The conference is free of charge.
- Registration status will be confirmed upon registration.
- If you have registered and later decide not to attend, please notify us at [email protected] .
- For more information, please email us at [email protected] .
- The summit will be held at Durban International Convention Centre, Durban, South Africa